Monday, August 8, 2011

Joining the Chorus of 26.2 Dreamers

Four and a half years ago, someone training for a marathon told me approximately one percent of the population has run a marathon.  That same someone expressed doubt at my ability to be part of that group, when I mentioned giving it a try.  For a few weeks I ran on the treadmill, eventually giving up because I thought that person was right.

And then in February of 2010, I weighed 165.4 pounds my personal high.  I'd been trying inconsistently and unsuccessfully to lose weight for about seven months prior.  So, when I reached that apex, I buckled down.  The first twenty pounds came off fairly easily, but I expected them too, I'd been in a holding pattern at 145 for a while prior to shooting up to 165 from late 2008 into 2010.

I began training for a 5K, two weeks after I started losing weight, but that didn't last because I sprained my ankle, and not long after that my Dad passed away.

Somewhere around my 25th birthday, The Voice in my head started.  It talked about the marathon in a very Field of Dreamsesque voice.  It had arguments, a long range plan, websites, and determination.

"Think about running a marathon before you're thirty," it began.

"Take your time, run a 5K before you turn 26," it gently whispered.

"Next year, run a 10K," it added later.

"Run the half after that, and finally, the Full when you're 29."

So, I thought, "Okay, well I can probably finish 3.1 miles before next November."

But the holidays came and went, and then in early March my Mom became very ill.  She is still in the hospital and on the long road to recovery.  I spent three weeks at my parent's home with my siblings during a very critical period.  I gained 10 pounds and bounced back to 146.6.  But rather than let it discourage me, I became more focused.  I lost 6.2 pounds in March, putting me back at 140.2 pounds.

Then on April 1st the voice said, "Why not now?"

And so it began.

On April 30th I ran my first 5K in 46:21.
On May 7th I ran my first 10 in 1:35:46.

I know I'm not fast, but for me it's not as much about speed as it is just getting to the end.  I will never be "fast," but I'm hoping to be running comfortably at a 15:00 mile pace when my first marathon comes around.

As Captain Malcolm Reynolds said, "Faster would be better," but finishing is the primary goal.

If you're wondering why after doing so well there's been a delay, well in late May I sprained my ankle.  After recovering from that there was heat wave here, I tried to run, but I just didn't have the stamina to do it in that kind of weather.  I continued to focus on my weight loss and building my endurance through walking.  I won't be able to finish a marathon this year, but that doesn't mean I have to give up entirely.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your dream...when you cross that finish line it will be an incredible day never to be forgotten. Don't worry about speed or what others think. If you need more time take it, don't push yourself into injuries as this should be a lifetime commitment.

    One step at a time, one mile, one marathon and one dream realized.

    ReplyDelete